Crispy Coated Parmesan and Mozzarella Puffball with Wild Green Pesto
I love this recipe. The giant puffball is a great meat substitute, like tofu. If you prefer a softer texture you can cut the slices a bit thicker, but I prefer them thinner and crispier. Now, if you like spice like me you can add fresh or dried chilli flakes to this recipe. I add it to the egg mix and the pesto, but this is optional.
- Oil for frying, I prefer olive oil or butter
- 4 giant Puffball slices 1/2 inch thick, peeled 4 x 6-inch pieces approx.
- Plain flour
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- Fine polenta, cornmeal or breadcrumbs
- 100grams of finely grated parmesan or other hard cheese
- 2 packets of full fat mozzarella
- Put oven on at 200 degrees centigrade, lightly oil a large baking tray.
- Put all pesto ingredients into a food processor or jug and use a hand blender and blend pesto to desired consistency. Add more oil or a little water to ease blending if needed.
- Place plain flour on a flat plate and add plenty of salt and pepper.
- Place cornmeal on a plate with grated parmesan and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Place eggs on to plate and whisk and add salt and pepper.
- Cut puffball slices and peel skin carefully, trying not to break.
- Heat oil in large frying pan, skillet.
- Dip each puffball slice into flour, then egg, then parmesan cornmeal, ensuring sides and edges covered well.
- Fry on medium/high heat for a crispy browned crumb
- Place all 4 slices onto a baking tray.
- Slice mozzarella and place onto puffball slices equally and evenly.
- Place tray in oven at 200 degrees centigrade and bake till mozzarella is melted and golden brown, approx. 20-30 minutes, serve with pesto, great with other vegetables and salad..Enjoy!
- Handful of Sorrel leaves
- Handful of Chickweed
- Handful of Hairy bittercress
- 2 large cloves Garlic
- Small handful of wild mustard leaves
- 20/25 Hazelnuts or walnuts
- Fresh chilli (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 glugs of Extra virgin olive oil